Sunday, September 30, 2012

Living Well

We've all seen the phrase from promotional materials put out by pharmacies and drug companies. And it usually describes a regimen of proper diet and exercise -- along with your daily medication, of course. It's the kind of advice that most people generally ignore. Until they get sick.

And I see it all around me every day. Caregivers rushing into work carrying mega cups of coffee or Coke. Young doctors commuting from one city to another, keeping themselves alert with Red Bull and Five Hour Energy. One recently had an episode that put him in the hospital for observation for two days with stress testing. So, when he came out, I thought he might have a different outlook. But instead, he told "funny stories" about wearing his hospital gown backwards.

Is it simply human nature to live this way or are there other factors a work?

Some things have never made sense to me. Caregivers who smoke, for one thing. And my mother was a nurse who smoked her entire adult life. Even when diagnosed with lung cancer, she continued to smoke for two more years -- until she died. I was angry about it. And I often think that she might still be alive, if she had stopped.

Of course, we live in America. And I try to remind myself that certain aspects of my perspective may be the results of social conditioning. It differs, no doubt, depending on where you live. (From what I understand, awareness of Healthy Lifestyles is often worse elsewhere.)

I have no desire to control what other people do. Every person has his or her own set of priorities. For some, long life is simply not at the top of their list. They're more concerned about how they live rather than how long.

But it should be easier to distinguish good foods from bad. And sometimes we're so bombarded with popular products that it seems almost pointless to ask that question. With everyone drinking the same beverage or popping the same snack, few stop to consider what it's doing to our bodies.

I have always tried not to be fanatical (about anything). Most people, even when they know something's bad for them, will tend to try it anyway. The ill effects are delayed. A saw this in high school, when seemingly "sensible" people all around me suddenly went for alcohol and tobacco. Why? Simply because they were "old enough".

That's another thing I never understood. If it's bad for you at 17, then it's bad for you at 27, and 37, etc.

What bothers me are the dangers we don't know about. Alcohol and tobacco are well known. People who take the risk must accept the consequences.

But what about sugar?

I never really thought about it as being bad. It always made me happy. And it was in all my favorite foods. My parents gave us sugar all the time. I loved cereal as a kid: Sugar Pops, Cap'n Crunch, Frosted Flakes. You name it. Every soft drink was laced with sugar. (Even popular juice drinks.) As long as we brushed our teeth, no problem.

I never asked, "Gee, I wonder if this is too much." They wouldn't do that. How could anyone question the veracity of kid-friendly cartoons like Toucan Sam or Twix the cwazy rabbit, or Count Chocula?

Today we know better. General Mills makes all of their products from whole grains. And if you check the labels, there really are good choices on the shelf. (Whether parents read them or not is another matter.)

But how much is too much? I know the answer for me. Anything over 4 grams of sugar per serving. (It's my own personal guideline, selected to match that found in "healthy snacks" made specifically for Diabetics.)

So where do most people go wrong? Where does one cross the line?

Since my diagnosis with Type 2, my awareness has increased. And I keep telling myself, maybe it's a good thing. Maybe better eating and exercise now will improve my chances of living longer.

And yes ... even Living Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment