Saturday, September 8, 2012

Testing

Once on daily medication, it became imperative to test my blood. I'm sure people do this a variety of ways. But I wanted a way to compare every reading to the first one, when I fasted overnight before having blood drawn at the doctor's office. So now I've made a habit of fasting each night between bedtime and my meter test each morning.

The readings varied more at first, dropping between 245 and 210 (an improvement from 360). My sister (the nurse) later told my wife that she didn't want to say anything the night I called her on the phone with a reading of 380, but she had heard of people going into a coma at 400. Still, I had a ways to go.

As strength returned, I ventured once more out into the yard. It had been at least a month since I'd even attempted work on a particular project, and Summer was passing us by. Then I discovered a wonderful thing. After sweating it out a few hours, the next morning my reading had dropped to 161! Exercise had turned it around.

Of course, it didn't stay that low. For another week, my readings fluctuated right around 200. Still, progress.

Now before my diagnosis, I never really understood those TV ads about "alternative sites". But I've come to realize they mean "anyplace but your fingertips". My brother (a year younger) had done this for a while, choosing a different finger every day. Once he showed me all the little scars.

From the start, I decided against it. I work with my hands every day. "No fingers," I said. And my FreeStyle kit had two different settings for the lancet, including one for "other". Now, it's been a learning process. I admit I haven't researched this a whole lot. (Partly because I'm still trying not to think about it too much, or broadcast it to everyone I know.)

Which brings me to the title of this blog. I purposely decided on Journeys to make it about everyone who reads and contributes their thoughts. Every person's journey down this road is no doubt unique. I'm bound to stumble. So, I'd like to hear from YOU. Anything you have learned can help others. Please offer your comments. Encouragement and advice are welcome!

So I began testing with my forearms, which seemed to work well at first. Whether I became impatient or the springloaded lancet device lost some of its punch, somehow I began to have trouble drawing enough blood. (Apparently the drop must be a certain size, or the meter can't read it.)

And there was bruising. I wear short sleeves all day, and at least one person asked, "What happened to your arm?" That was it. No more, I thought to myself. I was starting to feel like a drug addict.

So now it's my upper thighs. Sometimes it still takes more than one try to draw blood, but at least the marks won't show -- even when I have shorts on.

I've been trying to take my pill a few hours prior to each reading, hoping somehow that it will encourage my body to pull sugar out of my blood and create a better result. Right now for me, a good day begins with any reading below 200.

If I could exercise each day, it would probably make my readings more consistent. Even walking would probably help. It's been a goal of ours. We're still working on it.

My wife says I should test twice a day. But like always, my response was, "I'm not ready." (It took me over two years to give up my flip-style cell for an I-phone.) How important is this, I wonder? I keep thinking it'll only use up my strips faster, and force another trip to the drugstore.

So, that's where it stands. It's nearly 6 am. I'll have to wrap things up.

Time for another test.

No comments:

Post a Comment