Monday, December 17, 2012

Another Turn

It's inevitable. Beyond the holiday rush lies a New Year, with all of its unknowns, waiting for each of us. Another turn of the calendar ... another chapter in our lives.

It will be my first with Diabetes. A year ago, I had no idea this would be the case. When I think of all the unknowns I encountered this year, it boggles my mind!

My wife and I like to think of ourselves as survivors. No matter what happens, we circle the wagons, gather our resources, and together, come up with a plan. We've done it before. And each time, there's always that period of limbo, before the new path takes shape.

I'm trying to be more flexible, keep my mind open, allow for any possibility -- and stay busy. Every plan takes steps to put it in motion. There is no time to waste. We don't know exactly what to expect, but we're trying to prepare for any direction.

I used to be just the opposite. I'd choose a path and expect it to go on forever. I could not imagine any change. Maybe because I was young. I could not foresee any bumps in the road. But of course, I wasn't looking, either.

My wife is better, in this regard. She's more observant, looking for signs. I noticed this first with the weather. I thought she was obsessed. But I can't tell you how many times her efforts have paid off. Dressing properly before you walk out the door can make all the difference in the world.

When we attend any event, she always reminds me who's likely to be there. What topics to avoid. (People can be so nibby at times. It saves a lot of grief if you don't get them started.) I've learned to follow her example.

I'm facing this year with a new mindset. Age is a big part of that. Everyone goes through transition, from one decade to the next. Goals change, depending on where you happen to be.

Looking at my Dad, now in his seventies, I see a different man. He's facing a whole new set of circumstances compared to when he was my age. With any luck, I've got at least twenty years before it happens to me. No question about change -- it's coming.

In some ways, I'm thinking this might be my last chance. To do what I'm capable of. To put my talents to the test and find out what's possible. At least then I'll know that I tried.

When unexpected things happen, the effects may be twofold. We can mourn what is lost, and spend all our time looking back (never a good idea) or open our eyes to new possibilities. If things happen for a reason, then we must not be blind.

My wife and I are always trying to figure it out. What does this mean? Why is this person in my life? Why did this happen? What is God trying to tell me? There's a path here to be found.

And so these questions naturally arise at the start of a New Year. Right now, we're in limbo. But it won't last for long. We'll find our footing.

And Diabetes will be with me, each step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment