Saturday, November 24, 2012

Holidays...with a Twist

With Thanksgiving under our belts, we forge ahead into the holidays. My first since becoming Diabetic. And so I can't help but wonder how it will differ from seasons past. 

We keep twisting our lives to adapt. How we shop, how we cook, how we eat -- and how we celebrate.

Now I can't expect everyone to prepare sugar-free treats just for me. And I won't bring it up every time we sit down at the table. (I've seen people do this. It puts a damper on the whole thing.)

What does it mean to me? I'll probably be trying to identify the "least harmful" items to eat. Steering away from sweets toward things like crackers and cheese. Drinking diet Coke or Pepsi whenever possible.

Knowing now, (for the first time ever) that my grandmother is also Diabetic, I can select a sugar-free assortment of meltaways from Gorants for her gift, since she loves them so much -- because it's the right thing to do.

I can bypass many traditional delights because they're not good for me, and look the other way when my wife decides to indulge a time or two. She deserves a break. Since we first got the news in August, she's been incredibly supportive.

Foods that I might have steered away from in the past now hold greater appeal. I'll go for veggie trays and dip. Salads and breads and fruits. (This year I enjoyed dressing and gravy like never before.)

But I'll have to be careful with my eyes. (Especially with new glasses.) It's a natural thing that people notice. I must try not to stare. Not to gaze upon pastry in their hands or little napkins stacked high with holiday cookies. I don't want to be the person on a diet who makes everyone else feel guilty.

And I'll be polite. When someone raves, "Oh, you just have to take a bite!" maybe I will, in the Holiday Spirit. Even my doctor said it was okay to "cheat" once in a while.

But I won't sit around looking sad. I won't make annoying comments like "Do you know how much sugar is in that?" Of course, they do. They don't need to be reminded. And they don't need to hear endless boo-hoos from the ex-smoker who's just "dying for a cigarette".

Who knows? We may not even make it to Christmas. The Mayan calendar ends 12-21-12. It could be the end of life as we know it. All the preparations, all the worry could be for naught. Forget Diabetes.

If nothing happens, I'll be surprised.

My mom's been gone a year now. Our second family Christmas without her. We're talking about eating out, together at some restaurant (no decision yet on which one), then returning home to open gifts. We've never done that before. Will it lessen the strain or increase it? I cannot even guess.

With the kids in our family getting older, we should have less opening of packages than in the past. My wife and I are thinking about gift cards for everyone on our list. Somehow, we don't "feel it" so much this year. All we can think about is all the people suffering in New York and New Jersey from Hurricane Sandy. For the first time, we became especially conscious of all the corporate sponsors in the Macy's parade. It seemed more like advertising than anything else.

So what's up with the Mars "discovery"? They say it could be 'history in the making'. We just started watching season four of Ancient Aliens on DVD from the History Channel. Makes you wonder if the current Middle East conflict is part of a grander scheme. Does anyone else feel like this scenario might be reminiscent of 9-1-1? Everything changed after that.

We still look back on the days before 2001 with fond remembrance. Much the same way I look back on my life before I was diagnosed with Diabetes. Nothing's the same.

No doubt every member of my family will try to keep up the holiday tradition, with all the frivolity we can muster. Plans will be made, gifts will be purchased and we'll anticipate a "time to remember". It'll be my first season with Diabetes. We may even get visitors from outer space.

Yes. I'm expecting a "twist" this year -- in more ways than one.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment